From: Mark Gilligan [mailto:MarkKGilligan(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 2:57 AM
To: INTERNET:seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: seaint Digest for 27 Jul 2004

I have a steel structure with a simply supported wide flange girder
adjacent to a stair opening.  The loads from the beams come primarily
from
one side and are transfered using a standard AISC shear tab connection.
There is metal deck with concrete fill on top of this girder.

The plan checker is asking me to address the torsion on this beam.  My
practice has been to not explicitly address torsion in these cases since
whatever torsion there may be will be self limiting.  While the beam may
initially apply a torsion to the girder, if the girder attempts to
continue
to rotate, the beam to girder connection and the beam stiffness will act
resist any torsion.  ACI specifically addresses this situation in ACI
318
but I do not believe that AISC does.

I am trying to figure out a polite answer other than "NO", that will not
take too much time.  Probably the best answer would be to reference a
position by AISC.   Input would be appreciated.

Mark Gilligan