From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 9:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: WOOD: Really THINKING About The Framing...

As I mentioned earlier I have an opportunity to delve into the mysteries of framing a good-size (3500 s.f.) custom home for the first time. Usually I just stick to foundations since we don’t have building officials except in the odd municipality and so much new home construction takes place in the hinterlands, out in the unincorporated areas of Harris and surrounding counties here in Texas.

Anyway, I’m really amazed at what a challenge this all is when you haven’t been paying much attention, especially when you realize that we have AT THE VERY LEAST 110 mph Exp. C per ASCE 7-98. All the nooks ‘n’ crannies in this thing have me sort of puzzled, and not being hugely expert in residential roof framing, I’m having to figure this stuff out as I go.

One of the things that has me thinking is the behavior of the hipped roof system. It occurs to me that I have to make sure I’ve got at least one “box” on this thing—preferably the largest chunk—among all the various jointed-together chunks that make up this roof. I’ve got loads of discontinuities, not unusual in a modern custom home, and a gable or two but mostly there are just intersecting hip-roofed “chunks” that come into each other at varying elevations.

I’ve posted a couple of the archy drawings here:

http://www.polhemus.cc/WLSD

I’d like some of you to take a look so you can envision what I have in mind. I’m thinking to take the biggest “chunk” (the main part of the roof thrusting to the right of the front entrance (as you look at the front elevation) and making sure that it is “whole” (that is, that it is rectangular in plane with all four of the roof sides being complete, even where obscured by other roof “chunks.” And everything will “flow” from that. Also I’ve got to worry about how the wind is transmitting to the base of the building, so I’m making sure I’ve got shearwalls and drag struts as needed—more about that later as I proceed.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---