From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 12:31 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Strengthening soils under existing footing?

Has anyone considered a way to strengthen the soils under an existing footing without disturbing much of the surrounding?  I am envisioning pressure grouting through a 30" x 30" footing to the soil below to effectively increase the bearing area.  Hmm...

The original design drawings ca. 1975 state a 4000psf soil capacity.  The owner wants to add a penthouse/roof structure, but the soil bearing pressure is limiting the ability to do so.  Its hardly practical to widen the footings and add new columns centered on the new improved/footing.

Is grouting effective in this case, and is it even cost effective?  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Wilson, PE
Wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Stroudsburg, PA