	From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
	Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:20 AM
	To: Seaint
	Subject: Concrete Retaining Wall Control Joint and Expansion Joint
Spacing

	I have a 900' long reinforced concrete retaining wall to design and
want to make sure that I get the control joints and expansion joints handled
correctly.  Can any of you direct me to the best source for guidelines on
this?  I would also be interested in what most of your "rules of thumb" are
for this.  The wall height is 10' to 15' above the footing and it is located
in PA where the temperatures vary between 0 and 100 F.  I intend to use
vertical and horizontal reinforcement in both faces and the minimum
thickness will be 12".  Also, am I safe in assuming that the expansion joint
only needs to go through the stem and not the footing?

	Thanks in advance for your help.
	Best regards,

	Ken
	Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.