Building Snow drift

Wontea,

You will have a windward and leeward drift effect at some distance away
from the building.  All buildings in permafrost regions require either
elevation or active/passive refrigeration to prevent melting of the
permafrost.  A rule of thumb we use is 4' clear space below the building
is usually sufficient to keep the area below the building blown clear.
However, use caution with any obstructions in this area below the
building because it does not take a lot of "pinching" to create a
situation where the drift will occur below the structure.  In our
situation, it is critical to prevent the building from heating the
permafrost which will cause adfreeze pile failure.

In your case, I'm not sure what you are looking for.  Basically, a
raised building will act similar to a snow fence and cause snow to
settle out as the wind speed slows on the leeward side.  If you need to
calculate the leeward drift, there are references available to
approximate the size and configuration of the drifting.

Try "Cold Region Structural Engineering" (McGraw-Hill)
Or  "Snow Fence Guide" by Strategic Highway Research Program.

These references may be available on the University of Alaska Anchorage
web page - check the web based Arctic Engineering course.

Jared Keyser, P.E.
LCMF LLC
Anchorage, AK