From: Mark D. Anderson PE [mailto:mark(--nospam--at)alaskaengineer.com]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 10:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: banging bolts

When braced frames are involved, I wonder if differential thermal expansion
and contraction  has been considered in this way:

In braced frame building systems with a large percentage of the curtain wall
as glazing, in some instances the structural steel framing is generally
enclosed or wrapped, but the bracing system is not.  Even when modern
high-performance glazing is used, the exposed bracing may experience some
excursions from building interior temperature due to both solar heating and
re-radiative (night time) cooling.  These differential material temperatures
of the bracing relative to the framing that is enclosed or wrapped may be
enough to induce thermal forces sufficient to trigger the spontaneous
release of strain energy, both the thermal component and whatever else is
accumulated, in the nearest bolted joint (s).

Mark D. Anderson  PE
Anchorage, AK