Re: Snow Drift Load

Mike,

        Thanks for the complement.

        My use of the term "major dissertation" was a feeble attempt at
humour due to my tendency to over verbalize.

        I was actually present for part of the model study but it was in
1975 or 1976. Even so I've probably forgotten most of the technically
important details.  Essentially, the testing went something like the
following.

1.    The scale was quite small, something in the order of 1" = 50',
give or take.

2.    The tests were conducted in a water flume which was about three
feet wide and, perhaps 12' long. The water was about 8" deep and the
flow rate was about one or two feet per second.

3.    Sand was used in place of snow.  I don't remember the size; but it
was fairly find.  I expect it would all pass a #100 screen.

4.    The model had to be reassembled for each different height of
building above ground level.  Each model was tested for wind direction
from at least 8 compass points.

5.    I don't remember how long the tests took; but it was a few hours,
not a few minutes (Perhaps 4  hours).

        Of course, as we all know, the scale, flow rate, viscosity, sand
density etc. etc. all have to have properly matched ratios
model/prototype.  In all, I found the whole thing very interesting (Mr.
Spock might even say "fascinating!").

        The testing was done in a private testing lab owned by a
consulting firm.  As I recall, there were four "partners or principals"
and several or all were engineering professors at "Guelph University"
(if I've got that name right), which is located a few miles (50 or so)
west of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

        As far as cost is concerned I didn't have anything to do with
the cost; I have no idea what it actually did cost.  That said, we can
all make a reasonable guess.  Say 300 to 400 hours for engineer and/or
technicians plus a month rent of the equipment plus a report.  Even
considering that university types under value their own services it
would not likely cost less than $50,000.00 if done today.

Regards, Mike,

H. Daryl Richardson