RE: Strengthening soils under existing footing?

Someone has already mentioned helical piles. Another solution is auger cast grouted piles. I have put them in with only 6' of head room.
Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Jim Wilson <wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Strengthening soils under existing footing?
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:30:57 -0700 (PDT)

Has anyone considered a way to strengthen the soils under an existing footing without disturbing much of the surrounding? I am envisioning pressure grouting through a 30" x 30" footing to the soil below to effectively increase the bearing area. Hmm...

The original design drawings ca. 1975 state a 4000psf soil capacity. The owner wants to add a penthouse/roof structure, but the soil bearing pressure is limiting the ability to do so. Its hardly practical to widen the footings and add new columns centered on the new improved/footing.

Is grouting effective in this case, and is it even cost effective? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Wilson, PE
Wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Stroudsburg, PA