From: Jim Wilson
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: Single angle bending members

Check out AISC "LRFD Design Specification for Single-Angle Members."  It shows up in my 3rd edition section 16.3, or just after the HSS spec section.  The ASD version starts on page 5-309 after the bolting spec.

FWIW, I recall reading somewhere that the ASD was overly conservative and that the LRFD version is based on better research, and of course the whole load factor thing.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

Joseph Grill <jrgrill(--nospam--at)cableone.net> wrote:
I am checking a design done by another engineer where two single angles were used to support a concrete wall above wall openings.
Well, anyway it is sort of a concrete wall.  It's the type where the forms are foam and cells, both vertical and horizontal are filled with concrete.  The walls will not span some of the openings by itself as shear in the section is limiting.  The width of the openings vary and also the loading.  The angles used are very heavy.  I have already searched (for some of you who get nervous about that sort of thing) my entire library and also the AISC website and haven't found anything to help me with the design of these angles.  I have done brick lintels before in this manner, but nothing of this magnitude.  Is there something in the AISC manuals that explain this, or maybe some text?

Thanks for the help,
Joseph R. Grill, PE

Do you Yahoo!?