Re: Antenna towers IBC wind load requirement

Scott,

I can't tell you why the IBC says what it does, but in
my opinion, that ambiguous bit of language should be
applied to uplift or overturning stability only (i.e,.
use 2.0 in lieu of the EIA-222-F factors of 1.5 and
1.25 on the dead weight of soil and concrete, or in
lieu of the EIA-222-F factor of 1.5 for overturning of
a mat).

If you find out from the ICC what the intent really
is...please let us know.

d a v e  e v a n s

PS: EIA-222-F is an allowable-stress-based standard.
The next edition, EIA-222-G, is supposed to have load
factors.

Anyone:

2000 International Building Code section 3108.4.2
indicates that
"Adequate foundations and anchorages shall be provided
to resist two
times the calculated wind load."  I don't have a
structural IBC
commentary but heard that there is something written
about this.

Is the intent of this section for overturning
stability only?  Should
footings  be designed for [1.7*[2*wind]+1.4*D]*75 or
[1.7*W+1.4*D]*.75?
Should anchor rods be designed for .9*D+1.3*[2*wind]
or .9*D+1.3*D?

Thanks.

Scott M. Haan P.E.
Deputy Building Official