From: Rick Burch [mailto:rburch(--nospam--at)conterra.com]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 7:12 PM
To: seaint list server
Subject: Special Truss Moment Frames and Joist Girders

In large buldings such as one-story warehouses and industrial plants
moment frames consisting of joist girders (or sometimes ordinary joists)
with  rigid connections to steel columns are sometimes used to resist
lateral loads.  This system is described in the Steel Joist Institute
Technical Digest 11, "Design of Joist-Girder Frames".  This publication
is dated 1999, which is after the 1997 AISC Seismic Provisions came out,
however  I haven't found much in the SJI publication that addresses
using these frames for seismic loads.

Has anyone used joists or joist girders to create a STMF in accordance
with the AISC Seismic Provisions for an IBC Seismic Design Category D
(or above situation)?  In other words, can joist suppliers provide joist
girders (or joists) that meet the AISC requirements?  If not, is this
system now relegated to use only in Seismic Design Category C and below
as a "Structural Steel Systems Not Specifically Designed for Seismic
Resistance" (R = 3) ?

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC