From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 7:15 PM
To: SEAINT - Messages
Subject: Re: "American Institute of Engineers"

Dave:

The claim that "...one cannot received a degree in structural
engineering." likely refers to the fact that there is no such thing as
an ABET accreditted undergraduate degree in structural engineering.  All
ABET accreditted undergrad degrees will either be in civil engineering
(sometimes also referred to as civil and environmental engineering
depending on the school) or architectural engineering.  One can
SPECIALIZE in structural engineering within a either a civil or
architectural engineering program.  It is 100% true, however, that ABET
does NOT has any accreditted structural engineering degrees, which is
what virtually all (if not all) state licensing boards use as their base
requirements for licensure (i.e. the ABET part).

This is not to say that somewhere on a degree it may or may not mention
structural engineering, especially if it is a graduate degree (as there
is not equivalent to ABET for grad degrees to my knowledge).

So, the point is that you will have received a "generic" civil or
architectural degree for an undergrad degree in the US (as all or
virutally all engineering degrees are ABET accreditted).  You may (or
may
not) have spent a significant of your time taking structural engineering
classes (more so in architectural engingeering programs than civil
engineering programs from my understanding), but you still had to take
some minimum number of classes outside of structrual areas that were
aimed at meeting the ABET requirements for the program.

I will stay away from the "one of the BEST programs" debate as that
usually turns into a fruitless arguement of personal opinions (as most
will tend to think that their school is the best or one of the
best...myself being no exception <grin>).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI