From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 9:09 AM
To: SEAOC Newsletter
Subject: RE: "American Institute of Engineers" (Scott)

> Has anyone heard more news on the "American Institute of Engineers"
> announcement that the title "structural engineer" should be deleted
> from the American lexicon regarding professional titles?  This is from

I'm going to risk treading on some toes. If memory serves the American
Institute of Engineers originated as a protest organization against
foreign born engineers, back in the 80's. There weren't any technical
reasons for membership, but if you were aggrieved about immigrants
taking
your job, you could join up with like-minded people. I took a look at
their web site <http://www.members-aie.org/index.html> and that's still
the case--no technical content, one statement about improving 'the
stature and image of engineers, scientists and mathematicians' and lots
of discount deals for car rental and financial services--with no
accomplishments noted either and virtually no content. In short it looks

like a way to produce cash flow, not professional advancement.

My guts tell me that someone got gigged for practicing structural
engineering with a CE license in a state where a structural engineering
license is required. The press release sounds like an expression of
personal outrage, not a serious proposal.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw