From: Caldwell, Stan [mailto:scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 9:43 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: "American Institute of Engineers"

Dave Adams wrote ...

Colleagues:

Has anyone heard more news on the "American Institute of Engineers"
announcement that the title "structural engineer" should be deleted from
the American lexicon regarding professional titles?  This is from a
briefing of theirs dated March 19th, 2002 ... the reason given is that
one cannot receive a degree in structural engineering.

Dave:

A better question might have been:  "Has anyone ever heard of the
"American Institute of Engineers".  I, for one, had never heard of AIE
before this morning.  Thanks to Google, I found their website at:
http://www.members-aie.org/.  After reviewing the information presented
at that location, it is now pretty obvious why I hadn't heard of them. I
doubt that the apparent retirees running AIE have any understanding
whatsoever of any field of engineering beyond electronics.  Rather than
a harsh rant, I would simply suggest that you visit the website and form
your own opinion.  After doing so, I think that you will quickly agree
that structural engineers should not be concerned with any AIE press
releases or announcements.

Best regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas