Re: Mass concrete

Yi,

I use to have a file on mass concrete as we had to study this for a particular client.  I can't find my file but from memory ACI in an older document (late 1970s early 1980s?) actually had a definition of mass concrete as any element with a least dimension greater than 3 feet.  This was removed and now there is some hazy words about mass concrete being any size where being massive can be a problem or some similar circular logic.  I have also seen definitions that read any element with a least dimension of 3 feet and a volume to exposed surface area ratio greater than 2.5.  This was to provide an exception for long strip footings.

As a side note, if you are concerned about massive concrete then it makes good sense to put a definition in your specification or general notes.   Otherwise the contractor will just ignore it.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Yi Yang" <YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com>

08/03/2004 03:15 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Mass concrete

I have a concrete pad, approximate 3' to 3'-6" thick, 26' wide, 100' long.  Is this considered a "mass concrete"?  ACI 207 talked about the cooling of mass concrete etc.  Most of the ACI mass concrete reports are related to dam construction.  Is this pad "massive" enough to cause any serious heat problem?

Thanks for any input.

Y i   Y a n g,   P. E.
STRUCTURAL DIVISION
SUMMIT ENGINEERING INC.