From: "Molly Skinner" <MSkinner(--nospam--at)kpff-irvine.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: FW: CMU Site Wall using 2001CBC
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:44:23 -0700

I am designing a free-standing site wall using the (UBC/CBC) Fp equation
of section 1632.2.  I know the value of ap=1.0 and Cp=3.0 per Table
16-O, but what value of hx should be used?  The code states that hx is
the element of component attachment elevation with respect to grade, so
to me, that means that hx should be 0, and as a result the Fp,min
equation will govern.  I've read the blue book, plus looked at many
books, but this situation never sees to be addressed for free-standing
(non-building walls).  Is using hx=0 appropriate?  I had a plan checker
tell me that it isn't and should be using hx = hr.  Just curious what
others are doing.

Molly Skinner, P.E.
Irvine, CA