RE: STEEL: Lateral Support for Open-Web Steel Joists

Title: Message
Bill Polhemus wrote:

Finally, what is my ethical responsibility with regard to the joist-supported floors which (if my assessment is correct) are not adequate for the posted load? This place is actually within the city limits of a small, well-to-do south Texas town that actually has a building official. Do I need to bring this up to the owner and inform the building official (thus possibly incurring wrath?)

Bill:

As you undoubtedly already know, under Texas law, you have no choice but to "do the right thing."  To do otherwise puts your wealth and your professional license at risk.  As a long-time expert witness working in the defense of engineers and architects, I can attest that the risk is VERY REAL.  Never, ever put your client's wishes ahead of public safety, not even in South Texas!

Regards,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.

Dallas, Texas

... Goodbye, Quincy