Re: FW: CMU Site Wall using 2001CBC

Molly-
The Fp = 4.0 CaIpWp since hr has no meaning in the context of equation 32-2 (i.e., there is no "roof").  Thus what hx is becomes moot). A freestanding wall is akin to a cantilevered column supporting a roof structure (often referred to as a "lollipop on a stick").

These structures have not performed well in earthquakes. I recall there being a large number of such walls falling down in the Northridge EQ.  Also, there was a strong directionality to failures (i.e., freestanding walls in one direction fell down, walls perpendicular to that direction didn't).  Thus, if you are in a near fault area of a Type A fault with default soil (soil profile, Sd)the Fp=4.0 x 1.5 x 0.44 x 1.0 x Wp = 2.64 Wp (LRFD value) or 2.64 x Wp/1.4 (ASD level) = 1.88 Wp.  I wouldn't want to bet that my wall was aligned with the less violent direction.  :<(.

Remember also to consider load combinations per Section 1612. Section 1630.1.1 defines Eh = Fp for an element or component.

Regards,
Bill Cain, SE
Berkeley CA