Re: Load Capacity of a Holddown Post as a Compression Member

Nels,

I asked that question of Todd Helwig at the AISC Bracing for Stability course.  My memory is 99% sure that he said to average the compression (or 1/2 the maximum when the top is at 0) and apply that to the full member height.

Jim Wilson, P.E.
wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Stroudsburg, PA

"Nels Roselund, SE" <njineer(--nospam--at)att.net> wrote:
Is there a rational way to determine the design capacity of a compression member in which the applied load increases linearly along its length from zero at one end to a maximum at the other end, as for a shearwall holddown post.at the end of a shear wall?  I assume that the capacity would be greater than if the load is applied in end bearing each end.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net