RE:STEEL: Lateral Support for Open-Web Steel Joists

Bill

Since this is an existing condition it may be that there is something going
on that explains why this has not failed already.  I would first make an
attempt to understand the issues and potentially consult with an expert.

If their continues to be a technical concern I would deal with this as
primarily a legal not a moral issue.  Morality has to do with how you will
sleep at night whidh may be the least of your concerns.

First I would raise the issue with your client.  I would be clear regarding
the potential consequences and I would put it in writing.  If they act on
your recommendations then there is no problem.

If they either drag their feet or reject your recommendations I would
consult with an attorney knowlegable about professional liability issues.
At this point you have probably lost your client and your primary goal is
to protect yourself.  The advise that I got in a somewhat similar situation
was to report my concerns to the building official.  Do not report the
problem to anybody else.  If you mention your concerns to other than an
appropriate government oficial your client may be able to sue you for any
economic loss such a disclosure may cost them.  If you mention the problem
to some workmen and they walk off the project the Owner probalby will have
an easy claim against you.  If you notify a building official,  this form
of communication is protected by law, and they in effect cannot sue you.

If the building official decides to do nothing the impression that I have
is that you would not be liable to do any thing else.  Here again talk to
an attorney.   If you decide to be a whistleblower be aware that you may
become road kill.  If you are tempted to go this route talk to a
psychologist about whistleblowers and what the process does to them.  It is
not pretty.  It is not just your career that is at risk.

I do not see any benifet in talking to the board of registration for your
state.  They will not be able to give you the legal advice you will need
and a lawyer who knows about professional liability issues should know the
applicable legal issues.

Mark Gilligan