Re: Load Capacity of a Holddown Post as a Compression Member

Nels,

I have some papers which were written years ago on this subject.
Some are for a load applied at mid-height and others for loads at
other points and for a uniformly distributed load along the column
height.

The AISE and the AISC have published some tables for crane runway
columns (stepped columns) with an end load and an intermediate load
(crane) which have different moments of inertia for the upper and
lower columns.

If anybody wants copies, feel free to send me an email.

Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON