Re: Load Capacity of a Holddown Post as a Compression Member

Nels

This is not a direct answer to your question. But, in most cases that I have seen the capacity of the compression element of the shear wall is determined by compression perpendicular to grain of the sill plate supporting the end post.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> njineer(--nospam--at)att.net 08/04/04 06:05PM >>>
MessageIs there a rational way to determine the design capacity of a
compression member in which the applied load increases linearly along its
length from zero at one end to a maximum at the other end, as for a
shearwall holddown post.at the end of a shear wall?  I assume that the
capacity would be greater than if the load is applied in end bearing each
end.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA