RE: Nels- Compression Member

Title: Message

Nels- Could you clarify your problem? Do you mean a drag strut that collects shear in a linear fashion along its length with a max compression at the end? The holddown post at the end of a shearwall to my understanding has a point load reaction solved from statics using the OT moment and dead load at the T.O. wall.

If it is a drag strut, a lot of times these are a part of the roof structure and are braced at even points along its length. Then your worse case would be at the end. If the entire drag strut is unbraced, then it is a more complicated analyses which is what is sounds like what you have. I think you could set up an algebraic formula with axial force as a function of length on one side (due to the linear shear being collected into the drag strut), and the buckling capacity as a function of unbraced length and the geometry of the member on the other side, and solve for your unknown that way.....

Andrew Kester, PE

Longwood, FL

Nels wrote: "Is there a rational way to determine the design capacity of a compression member in which the applied load increases linearly along its

length from zero at one end to a maximum at the other end, as for a shearwall holddown post.at the end of a shear wall? I assume that the

capacity would be greater than if the load is applied in end bearing each end."