RE: Coastal Loading of a Boat Dock

You will have to scale down, but I would look at the Navy NAVFAC DM 25.1. You will have berthing loads (the ship coming into dock), and you will have mooring loads (the current, wind and wave forces on the moored vessel). If your vessels are rated in displaced tons, it is a piece of cake. If your vessel is like most recreational water craft, you will have to look at the calculations.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: "Brian M. Spencer" <bspencer(--nospam--at)tgrwa.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Coastal Loading of a Boat Dock
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:38:07 -0500

I am working on a residential project in Florida.  The client wants a
boat dock designed and built.

I am aware and have the Coastal Construction Manual published by FEMA,
so I am aware of the
wind, wave and debris forces.  Our concern is the size of boat that will
be docked, and what loads would
be applied to the dock from the "bumping" of the boat into the dock.

Does anyone have any ideas for references on this issue?

Thanks,

Brian M. Spencer, S.E.

TGRWA, LLC

407 S. Dearborn, Suite 900