From: "Joe Grill" <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Value for EI in tall wall
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:49:51 -0700

Harold,
Thanks, I have been able to put that together and you have confirmed that
for me. I guess my next question would be is it O.K. to use the upper bound
value or when is it and when is it not a good idea.

I have once again inherited a project that I have to go through.  It is a
custom home that is to be manufactured with "insulating concrete foam walls"
(ICF walls).  I have a design manual published by PCA with some good
information and design examples. They list the Equations that I mentioned in
my earlier post, but (without explanation) use the upper bound value, where
the example in the Notes on 318-99 uses the lower bound value again without
explanation.  It makes quite a difference in the design of these walls.  I
can't seem to make up my mind as to which and when.

Thanks,
Joe Grill