RE: Expansion Anchor Pull Tests

I would imagine that conducting a pull test on an installed expansion anchor would be quite expensive and time consuming...not to mention destructive. Due diligence might be more easily accomplished by testing concrete directly with Windsor Probe. My opinion is that the hammer give high values compared to what actually exists. You might consider coring/compressive testing (noncritical area) concrete to get a better idea of what is there...my guess is that this would still be cheaper than testing an installed anchor.
-----Original Message-----
From: Maxwell [mailto:enginerd666(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 12:48 PM
To: seaint
Subject: Expansion Anchor Pull Tests

I'm curious to get a general sense of how many engineers require pull tests on post-installed EXPANSION ANCHORS in concrete for typical projects (not hospital, nuclear, or school facilities).

I understand that some engineers require pull tests for expansion anchors as a check of the concrete substrate - especially in renovation work - rather than the anchor itself.

Typical expansion bolt manufacturers require only special inspection during torque tightening.

Thanks.

Do you Yahoo!?