RE: Expansion Anchor Pull Tests

Ben,

We don't in our little part of the residential design world. Typically we use them for ledgers supporting trusses...many in a row hence some redundancy. The problem with wedge anchors is that sometimes they don't "catch" and just sit loose in their hole. You won't know their not correct unless you put a wrench on them (hence inspection requirement you mentioned). My opinion is that this inspection better serves the project rather than actual pull tests...especially with published ultimate/allowable factors as high as 4. Check out Hilti Kwik Bolt II or similiar. Hope this helps...

  -----Original Message-----
From: Maxwell [mailto:enginerd666(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2004 9:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Expansion Anchor Pull Tests

Craig, thanks for your post.  From your response, I see that my original question got a little vague with the statement about the soundness of the substrate. So to clarify:

I'm purely interested in determining if engineers require pull tests for expansion anchors as a quality assurance requirement, i.e. if the contractor is performing the work correctly.

-Ben

I would imagine that conducting a pull test on an installed expansion anchor would be quite expensive and time consuming...not to mention destructive. Due diligence might be more easily accomplished by testing concrete directly with Windsor Probe. My opinion is that the hammer give high values compared to what actually exists. You might consider coring/compressive testing (noncritical area) concrete to get a better idea of what is there...my guess is that this would still be cheaper than testing an installed anchor.