Re: Structural steel--isolated joints

Jim,

See my responses below;

> Can you give any more information on this building.  i.e. bay size, crane

20'

> beam and cap channel (if there is one?) size,

C12x20.7

 >is this a bracketed crane (I> hope not), separate columns, or stepped
columns, are there rail clips >or J hooks (I hope not),
>are these 1/4" plates used to brace the top flange to
> the column, etc., etc.

There is a colmn directly below the crane rail and one that is adjacent that
supports a smaller crane on the opposite side of the centerline of the
building. These cols are trussed together. A beam runs across the top on top
of which the subject column sits centered between the two cols below. This
column goes up to support the roof. It is laterally connected to the crane
rail beam with this 1/4" plate. The rail is held to beam with j hooks

>are these 1/4" plates used to brace the top flange to
> the column, etc., etc.

Yes

How tall is this crane (i.e. rail ht, bracket or top
> of crane column ht)?

20'

> Can you also describe the connection which I seem to understand you to say
> is causing the column to fracture.  Just generally it would seem that a 6"
> pipe column is extremely light to support a 32 ton crane.

It's not supporting the gravity load of the crane. The connection more or
less seems to keep the the rail beam from rolling over.