Re: Structural steel--isolated joints

>I'd agree, however the attachment is only a foot or  so above the columns
>attachment to the primary crane support bent (two 10"x .25 wall pipes laced
>together)
I'll stick to my guns after seeing the crack at the connection. This
isn't anything like a typical crane rail connection. If this were my
problem I'd look at the whole system including a dynamic analysis. I
think the lateral loading was underestimated. You can probably make a
pretty good estimate of the dynamic amplification as arising from a
suddenly imposed displacement of the scale of the misalignment of the
rails.

If I'm not seeing things, it looks like someone tried weld repairs to the
connector plates. I can't remember a situation like this where weld
repairs did anything but make it worse.

I'll risk raining on the parade and say that making that connection any
more flexible is just going to make the problem worse.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw