Re: Old Seismic Values

Jason,

I think the key word that is missing from your description is "spectral".
Peak GROUND acceleration or velocity is different than the peak SPECTRAL
acceleration or velocity.  It sounds like the information in the report you
were given was for peak ground values.  Aa, Av, Ss, & S1 are spectral
values.  The theory is that an ideal oscillator (think of a bowling ball on
a thin steel rod stuck in the ground) with a particular fundamental
frequency will experience a certain peak acceleration and velocity in a
given seismic event.  These accelerations and velocities, which are the
spectral values,  will be different for oscillators of different
frequencies, and will be different from the values at the ground surface.
Aa & Ss are the values for an oscillator with a 0.2 sec. period (period =
1/frequency).  Av & S1 are for an oscillator with a 1 sec. period.

In the older UBC, Z is the approximate peak ground acceleration.  0.2
spectral acceleration is approximately Z*C with C=2.75.  The 1.0 spectral
acceleration is approximately Z*C with C calculated for T=1.0 => C=1.25.

Of course, all these values vary depending on the confidence level.  The
current codes use a 2% probability of exceedence (98% confidence) in 50 yrs.
I'm not sure what the older UBC values were based on.  Up to date values for
any location in the US are available free at http://eqhazmaps.usgs.gov/.

The FEMA 273 or 368 commentaries, or the ASCE7 98 or 02 commentaries have
very good information on this subject.

I hope you send a summary of your (general) findings to the list, once you
have finished your investigation.  This is a very relevant topic that most
structurals, at least in the west, will be dealing with for years to come.

Dmitri Wright, PE
Progressive Consultants Inc.
Portland, OR