From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 9:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bar Joists parallel to masonry walls

I am debating two opposing details for placing a bar joist adjacent a masonry wall.  Its quite common to see bar joists parallel to masonry walls set off from the wall by 6" or so.  But it seems to me, however that this will cause installation problems with the metal decking as well as performance issues under loading.

If a 60' span joist has 1 1/2" camber for example, how can the metal decking be successfully attached to the top of the masonry wall without either bending the deck or tapering the top of the wall.  This connection is imperative to transfer diaphragm shear to the shear wall.

Secondly, how can the joist deflect under snow/live loads without fatiguing the deck welds and ultimately causing some type of failure at that location?

Am I being too picky or am I just seeing some bad details?  It seems to me that the joists should be set off from the wall the same distance as the typical joist spacing to keep the necessary flexibility.

Regards.

Jim Wilson, P.E.
wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Stroudsburg, PA