Re: Bar Joists parallel to masonry walls

I use a full joist spacing from the wall to the first joist and then supply a continuous angle (usually an L3x3) bolted to the wall at the vertical reinforcement locations.

Domenic DeAngelo
----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Wilson
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 10:54 AM
Subject: Bar Joists parallel to masonry walls

I am debating two opposing details for placing a bar joist adjacent a masonry wall.  Its quite common to see bar joists parallel to masonry walls set off from the wall by 6" or so.  But it seems to me, however that this will cause installation problems with the metal decking as well as performance issues under loading.

If a 60' span joist has 1 1/2" camber for example, how can the metal decking be successfully attached to the top of the masonry wall without either bending the deck or tapering the top of the wall.  This connection is imperative to transfer diaphragm shear to the shear wall.

Secondly, how can the joist deflect under snow/live loads without fatiguing the deck welds and ultimately causing some type of failure at that location?

Am I being too picky or am I just seeing some bad details?  It seems to me that the joists should be set off from the wall the same distance as the typical joist spacing to keep the necessary flexibility.

Regards.

Jim Wilson, P.E.
Stroudsburg, PA

Do you Yahoo!?