From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 1:30 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: FOUNDATIONS: "Geotechnical Report Required?"

-->

This may seem like an odd question, but in truth it has never come up before because it has always been understood that a geotechnical investigation is or would be required for light commercial foundation design before I would proceed to do it.

But I have a job now from an architect whose response to my query “where’s the geotechnical report” was “no report available, please proceed.” And after some digging it appear the answer to the question “does the Building Code require a geotechnical investigation” seems to be, in most cases, “no.”