RE: FOUNDATIONS: "Geotechnical Report Required?"

When a client refuses to get a soils report, I have them sign a letter (which I draft) stating that client is assuming responsibility for geotechnical performance (or lack thereof). The reasons I cite include the fact that I’m not a geotechnical engineer nor does my insurance cover geotechnical issues (not sure if that’s true, but I use it anyway). Usually (except for smaller residential projects), this either gets me a signature on file or gets a soils report in hand. Even when I get that letter, my structural notes are changed to inform the building official that, due to a lack of a soils report, owner (or client) assumes responsibility for geotechnical performance (or lack thereof).

Have I tested this practice in a court of law? No. But, for me, it’s seldom been an issue since most of my clients have insurance and none of us carry it for geotech. I most often get reports.

If you’re that concerned about the geotechnical issues, then turn down the job.

Evaluate the risk to reward ratio before proceeding otherwise.

Just my two cents.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588