IBC 2003 industrial stair

Now that PA has adopted 2003 IBC, I am told that we can't have stairs for industrial platforms within a building that are anything but 7" maximum riser and 11" minimum tread.  I really hope that someone out there will disagree with that statement and show me where this would be allowed.  We used to be able to say that the platform was just for equipment access (i.e. not occupied) and use a stair that met OSHA.  But now we have a project that I would have bet could have had an OSHA stair that the Code Enforcement Officer is saying has to be 7/11 - even though he agrees that the platforms are equipment access platforms.  I am pretty sure that we could get away with putting ladders in (instead of stairs), but the Owner would like stairs.  So, although an OSHA ladder would be OK, an OSHA stair would not.  Have any of you run into this yet?

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
1584 Weaversville Road
Northampton, PA 18067-9039
Phone: (610) 262-6345