From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent:
Tuesday, August 17, 2004 6:32 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: DQoD: "Lateral Torsional Support from Gypsum Board"

Okay, so here’s the Dumb Question of the Day <tm>.

I’ve noticed that quite often design of roof rafters are governed by the wind uplift because they are supported laterally only at the supports, or perhaps with intermediate blocking.

Is it common to lend lateral torsional support via the use of gypsum board, such as ceiling drywall applied directly to the underside of the rafters? If so, what are the limitations (thickness, type, etc.)?