Re: Bar Joists parallel to masonry walls

Your interpretation is correct.  And you can use headed studs or DBA's.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bar Joists parallel to masonry walls
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:40:33 -0400 (EDT)

Joe:

My understanding (and Harold can correct me if I am wrong) is that he is
placing the WT on its "side" (the top of the flange will be vertical along
the inside face of the masonry wall creating an 8" tall by however wide
the WT is vertical piece of plate to weld the angle to and the web is
vertical and "slides" through the vertical [head] joint between two
masonry blocks...the web then has DBA's welded to it that "hold" the whole
thing in the masonry wall).  I would assume that he repeats this at some
set distance (I would assume every several feet, depending on loading),
which he did not specify even in general terms.  His intent is that he
then has a vertical weld plate every several feet that a continuous angle
can be welded to (at the desired elevation) to support the deck and act as
a diaphragm chord.

And I don't see why it would not work for 8" or 10" or 12" walls
(assuming that I understand correctly)...they will typically all be using
8" tall blocks.  Could even work for 6" or maybe even 4" walls other than
the core may not be big enough to allow for room for the DBAs.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI