Re: mobile homes

"Finally, I think a distinction should be drawn between a MF home and a truly mobile home. I would think given they are built in a controlled environment in a factory, there is a POTENTIAL for a MF home to be just as structurally sound as a field framed wood house. "

The quality control problem that I have heard with the process is that the manufacturing facility and final home site are not generally in the same municipality or sometimes even the same state, so any requirements for design review or inspection that may exist are generally overlooked because of the distances and the lack of clarity about whose jurisdiction it would fall under.  That was one of the factors mentioned in a presentation that I attended about an unsually heavy snow storm that Western Washington had about 8 years ago in which manufactured home awnings and car ports seemed to do particularly poorly.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE