From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Bar Joists parallel to masonry walls
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:09:09 -0700

Harold,

If I picture this right, the studs are welded perpendicular and into the
flat portion of the WT web and protrude horizontally into the first
masonry cell on either side.  If this is correct why would it be a flare
weld instead of just a stud weld or fillet all around?  What length studs
do you typically use to prevent hitting the potential vertical rebar in
the same cell?

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
08/17/2004 10:44 AM
Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc

Subject
Re: Bar Joists parallel to masonry walls

Joe,
Yes.  I like the open ended CMU's and since US Army Corps of Engineers
generally requires "A" blocks, they are easily obtained.  I generally use
WT 3 x 9 x 0'-7 5/8".  The length is the same as the height of the CMU.
The
DBA's or headed studs are welded to the web of the WT with flare welds and

positioned so that they clear the face shell of the CMU.  The WT web acts
as
a shear lug for shears in the plane of the wall.  The WT's are spaced at
whatever the angle will span, but at some increment of 16".  The studs or
DBA's take care of the out of plane forces.  The continuous angle provides

gravity support and serves as a diaphram chord.  The masons and iron
workers
find this solution very easy.  I find it to be a very robust connection.

Regards,
Harold Sprague