From: richard lewis <rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Nonshrink Grout Thickness
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:12:56 -0500

What is a reasonable maximum thickness of nonshrink grout below a column
baseplate?   I am detailing a column base fro a steel pipe column that
supports steel roof beams in an existing building.  They are removing a
CMU bearing wall and supporting the wood framed roof with steel framing.
The roof slopes slightly.  I was thinking of making a detail where the
column lengths are the same and the slack is taken up in the grout under
the base plate.  I would ask for steel shims to set the column in place
and then grout it.

Thanks for your help.

Rich