From: richard lewis [mailto:rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 3:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Nonshrink Grout Thickness

What is a reasonable maximum thickness of nonshrink grout below a column
baseplate?   I am detailing a column base fro a steel pipe column that
supports steel roof beams in an existing building.  They are removing a
CMU bearing wall and supporting the wood framed roof with steel framing.

The roof slopes slightly.  I was thinking of making a detail where the
column lengths are the same and the slack is taken up in the grout under
the base plate.  I would ask for steel shims to set the column in place
and then grout it.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!