Re: Nonshrink Grout Thickness

Rich,

Best to check with the grout manufacturer as they all typically have a minimum and maximum which varies from brand to brand.  Two to three inches is normally not a problem but six to twelve may be.  Sometimes the manufacturers will recommend adding pea gravel as a heat sink for very thick pours which may allow you to get in the 12 to 18 inch range.  Some manufacturers have a special blend just for the thinker applications.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

richard lewis <rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com>

08/17/2004 01:12 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Nonshrink Grout Thickness

What is a reasonable maximum thickness of nonshrink grout below a column
baseplate?   I am detailing a column base fro a steel pipe column that
supports steel roof beams in an existing building.  They are removing a
CMU bearing wall and supporting the wood framed roof with steel framing.
The roof slopes slightly.  I was thinking of making a detail where the
column lengths are the same and the slack is taken up in the grout under
the base plate.  I would ask for steel shims to set the column in place
and then grout it.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!