Re: Stainless Steel

Jason- It depends on the condition of the rod - Cold Worked, Annealed etc.

This info comes from ASCE 8-02 Specification for the design of Cold
Formed Stainless Steel Structural Members.

Yield stress of Annealed SS304 is 30 ksi except for longitudinal
compression, in which case it is 28 ksi (ref table A1).  If checking
by ASD, use a safety factor of 1.85 against yielding in tension and
for bending also a safety factor of 1.85 against uielding and
buckling. (ref table D).

For other treatment conditions:
1/16 Hard  45 /45 /45/ 41ksi (Long. Tens./Transv. Tens./Transv.
Comp./Long. Comp)
1/4 Hard  75 /75 /90 /50 ksi (Long. Tens./Transv. Tens./Transv.
Comp./Long. Comp)
1/2 Hard 110 /110 /120 /65 ksi (Long. Tens./Transv. Tens./Transv.
Comp./Long. Comp)

Regards,
Kieran K-S

Marina del Rey, CA