RE: Stainless Steel

Basically, the situation is a moderate sized canopy being attached to an
existing building.  The outside corners are held up by a chain, which is to
be fastened back to the existing concrete structure at the third floor
(about 14' above the canopy).

My original design was for a vertical flat plate through-bolted through the
concrete spandrel beam (4 bolts), with a perpendicular plate penetrating
through the brick veneer.  A pin connected this plate to a clevis and rod.
All to be galvanized.  No exceptional corrosive factors other than rain -
the owner just thought a stainless steel fastener would be "better" and not
much more expensive (6 total connectors).

BUT, this didn't meet with the architectural "look" of the canopy, so I'm
designing a single rod.  The trick comes in the fact that the connection
point is roughly 6" out from the face of the concrete, which means lots of
bending in the bolt.

But thanks for pointing out the differences in physical properties (your
second post) - I'll specify a particular grade which the contractor must
meet.  The option I'm allowing is to let him decide if it's cheaper to find
a really big rod or do extra welding and masonry work.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri