Cracks in Blocks in Fire Tower

Approximately 10 years ago, I designed a 4 storey fire training tower
for the City of Niagara Falls.  The construction was 8" reinforced
block with a 42" high parapet.  In the parapet I embedded 5/8" eye
bolts to be used for anchoring rapelling ropes for climbing down the
tower.  Almost every one of theses bolts has radial cracks around the
bolt shank circulating out 2" to 4".  The fire department cut off the
eye bolts to stop their use.  There are still U bolts in the roof
slab so they can still train.  However, they want to have the eye
bolts or an equivalent re-installed in order to have different means
of anchoring for training.  I guess not all buildings are the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause of the cracks in the
block or alternative means of anchorage to the parapet wall?  Photos
are available if anybody's interested.

thanks,
Gary Hodgson
Niagara Falls, ON