Re: Stainless Steel

>Does anyone know the yield stress for an A304 stainless steel rod?  I
>thought we had it in our library, but I can't find it, the people I would
>ask are out.
It varies with cold work, and there are a number of grades. Anealed 304
bar to A-276 has a yield strength of 30 ksi (hot finished condition A) 45
ksi for Dia < 0.5 in; 30 ksi for Dia < 0.5 in (cold finished condition A)
and following for cold finished condition B
   Size                 YS (ksi)
Dia < 0.75            100
0.75 < Dia < 1.0      80
1.0 < Dia < 1.25      65
1.25 < Dia < 1.5      50
1.5 < Dia < 1.75      45

The strength differences are due to cold work. If you do any welding the
strength goes back to annealed.

If that seems very complicated, it is, but it's good to have all the
info. There's much nonsense floating around about the strength of
stainless because of all the grades and types.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw