From: "Will H" <haynewp(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Boundary elements in shearwalls
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:06:39 -0400

According to ACI 99-21.6.6 the requirements for boundary elements are in reference to "special reinforced concrete walls". I am in SDC C and am using ordinary reinforced concrete walls as allowed by IBC table 1617.6.

Does this mean that I can ignore the need for boundary elements since I am not designing a "special" wall, even if my factored forces exceed 0.2f'c? It doesn't really seem correct to ignore them.

Will