Re: Cracks in Blocks in Fire Tower

Hello Gary,

Photos would be helpful to see the exact nature of
damage and the constructed building.

If there is corrosion, as Nels has suggested, it will
be most likely be evident on visual inspection of the
remaining part of the bolts, or the surrounding
concrete area.  Some discolorization or expansion of
surrounding area can indicate this.

In my opinion, radial cracks can be due to the
application of a large 'pull out' force.  How is the
training conducted?  The answer may give an idea of
the cause of the radial cracks.

For new anchorage, significant repair measures  may be
required.

-Chitra Javdekar

Approximately 10 years ago, I designed a 4 storey fire
training tower
for the City of Niagara Falls.  The construction was
8" reinforced
block with a 42" high parapet.  In the parapet I
embedded 5/8" eye
bolts to be used for anchoring rapelling ropes for
climbing down the
tower.  Almost every one of theses bolts has radial
cracks around the
bolt shank circulating out 2" to 4".  The fire
department cut off the
eye bolts to stop their use.  There are still U bolts
in the roof
slab so they can still train.  However, they want to
have the eye
bolts or an equivalent re-installed in order to have
different means
of anchoring for training.  I guess not all buildings
are the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause of
the cracks in the
block or alternative means of anchorage to the parapet
wall?  Photos
are available if anybody's interested.

thanks,
Gary Hodgson