Re: Rolling A36 Steel

The following Q&A was copy and pasted from the AISC webpage at
http://www.aisc.org/MSCTemplate.cfm?Section=Steel_Interchange2&Template=/Cus
tomSource/Faq/SteelInterchange.cfm&FaqID=2169

Question (03/01/2003)
An inspector on our job insists that A36 is no longer manufactured. I have
recently taken an advanced steel course and heard no mention of such a fact.
I understand that the A572 Specification has been refined, but I find it
difficult to believe that A36 is gone altogether. If you could direct me to
a reference I would greatly appreciate it.

Answer:
ASTM A36 is still commonly used in steel plate, angles, channels, S-shapes,
and HP-shapes. Your inspector has probably heard that A36 is not available
in wide-flange shapes. And this is almost true. The preferred (and most
common) material specification for W-shapes is now ASTM A992, which is the
official title of the "refined A572" that you made reference to. A992 is a
grade 50 material. Engineers still can specify A36 for W-shapes. However,
A36 costs more than A992 and the steel that you get probably will also meet
a specification with a higher yield strength anyway. There are a couple of
articles that may be of interest to you on AISC's web site. If you search
"A992", you will get links to Modern Steel Construction articles such as
"Are You Properly Specifying Materials", "Steel Industry Embraces A992" and
"Do you 992?"
Keith Mueller, Ph.D.
AISC Steel Solutions Center
Chicago, IL