reinforced concrete design question

There?s a linear relationship between stress and
strain in the compression zone of concrete beams when
stresses are small. When stresses get bigger the
linear relationship goes away and you use the ?Whitney
Stress Block? to approximate the compression zone in
concrete beams.

Does anyone know when the linear relationship between
concrete stress and strain starts to disappear? Can
anyone cite any references where I can learn more
about this issue?

I found one book that says the linear relationship is
valid for stress levels below 0.5 x f?c.

TIA,

Cliff Schwinger